my bookshelf: reads of lockdown

Being in lockdown has blessed me with nothing but time, which has been filled with nothing but films, tv shows, books and jigsaws every so often. It's been lovely, but I thought, as the world slowly but surely goes back to normal, I could share with you, all of the books I've read over the last 3 months, my rating out of 5 and just a little synopsis about the book itself. Most of the books on this list I am selling over on my depop for super cheap too if anyone is interested in reading any at all! 


The Couple Next Door - Shari Lapena (4.5/5): Multi-narrative thriller based on a couple who's 6-month-old baby goes missing in the middle of the night. Follows the story in the perspective of both parents, as well as the head detective on the case as the investigation unfolds. Literally couldn't put it down. 

The Shock of The Fall - Nathan Filer (4/5): Follows a 19-year-old boy struggling with the death of his brother and his own personal mental health issues. Such a personal, beautiful story with a narrative that makes you feel like the character is writing to you personally. 

Noughts & Crosses - Malorie Blackman (4/5): A story of forbidden love between the two main characters, Sephy and Callum, as well as a perfect analysis of institutionalized racism, oppression and class status. It was great to re-read this and remember why it was one of my favourite books in my early teens. 
No-one is too Small to Make a Difference - Greta Thunberg (3/5): A collection of Thunberg's speeches as she travels the world advocating for Climate Change awareness. A lovely reminder of how inspiring this young woman is! 

An Unwanted Guest - Shari Lapena (5/5): Agatha Christie styled 'whodunnit' story following a group of people who become stranded in an isolated, snowed-in hotel with no contact with the outside world. Then a murder takes place, then another, then another. I stayed up until 2am reading this book because I literally couldn't put it down. 

Animal Farm - George Orwell (5/5): 1944 novella Animal Farm by George Orwell has become one of my favourite books of all time, as he uses the imagery of a farm to criticize the rise of the Soviet Union during this time. Found myself repeatedly amazed by the way he told this social analysis in such an imaginative way. 

Beautiful Boy - David Sheff (3/5): A father's narrative of his son's addiction to Methamphetamine and the impacts of this on himself as a father. A very empathetic understanding of drug addiction, however, I must say, I enjoyed the biopic film much more. 

After You - Jojo Moyes (3.5/5): Sequel novel to Jojo Moyes famous 'Me Before You', follows the story of Louisa Clarke after the events that took place in the first novel. It was a super easy read, the type of book that's good to grab no matter what mood you're in. 

Reasons to Stay Alive - Matt Haig (5/5): Haig's personal experience with depression and anxiety, as well as some very funny anecdotes about his journey with mental health over the years. It's a beautiful book which I'd personally recommend to anyone who has suffered/is suffering from depression and/or knows someone who is. 

Eleanor & Park - Rainbow Rowell (4/5): The perfect young adult fiction novel about two misfits who fall in love. So heartfelt, personal and oddly nostalgic to those early teen crushes we all had! 

The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde (2/5): The story of a narcissistic socialite who's dream is to stay young forever, which oddly, comes true- with a catch. I don't know why, because this is ALWAYS recommended when looking up classics to read, but I really didn't enjoy this book. You'll find it on my depop lol
 
We Should All Be Feminists - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (4.5/5): An extremely well-written essay discussing why it is important for everybody to adopt feminist ideas into their day-to-day lives, as well as sharing her personal experience as a woman advocating feminism. A very quick read, but an important one none-the-less. 

Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race - Reni Eddo-Lodge (5/5): The perfect start for anyone who wants to educate themselves further on race relations, the BLM movement and white privilege in general. Reni's discussion of all aspects of race is UK society, including the likes of our ethnocentric curriculum or the interconnected nature of things like Race & Class and Race & Gender, is something we ALL need to know, talk about and learn more about, and this book is a great place to start. This is my second time reading this book over the last 2 years, and its importance will always be present. 

The Little Prince - Antoine De Saint-Exupery (4/5): A very quick story about a Little Prince who leaves his little planet and visits earth, making an unlikely friend in the desert and tells him all of his stories. It's so adorable. The perfect kids' book, ever. 

Where Rainbows End - Cecelia Ahern (3/5): The book which inspired the film 'Love, Rosie', it tells the story of two best friends who's timing is just never right. The longest slow burn I've ever read in my life. I did enjoy this book, but the way it is written is a little odd in my opinion. Still, a very good 'love' story.

The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole (3/5): An early teenaged boys diary as he experiences family problems, starts dating a girl for the first time and all the other things teenaged boys go through. Very funny book. 

Current Reads: 
She Said - Jodi Kantor & Megan Twohey:
The story of how two journalists uncovered the Harvey Weinstein sexual abuse case and kickstarted the #MeToo movement around the world. 

One Of Us Is Lying - Karen M. McManus: Gives me a combination of The Breakfast Club and Agatha Christie 'whodunnit' vibes. Only a couple of chapters in, but it's pretty good so far!

The Power of Now - Eckhart Tolle: Self-help book discussing the importance of staying present and appreciating the now. Every time I pick up this book, my highlighter is out in full force. Such an enlightening read. 


I hope this little list of mine encourages someone to pick up a book during this time. 



Thank you for reading, 
J. I. Smith x 
 

Comments

Popular Posts