normal people: a review

I don't usually write reviews for films and TV shows, which is surprising because it's very normal for me to become totally obsessed with every new show or film I watch. But, with the release of Normal People on BBC Three being the first TV show in a very long time that truly resonated with me, I thought it was only necessary for me to tell you all about it.

I was obsessed with the book last year, reading Sally Rooney's Normal People promptly followed by Conversation With Friends in less than a week. Her writing was something I immediately fell in love with, and so when I found out there was going to be a TV adaptation of her book Normal People, I was over the moon.

The story consists of two teenagers, Connell and Marianne, who are on opposite ends of the high school social hierarchy, yet still, find a way to fall in love with each other. It sounds cliche, and every time I describe it to a friend, it definitely comes off that way, but I personally feel like there's so much more to fall in love within this story.

The show is identical to the book, with all the characters perfectly fitting into what I imagined, and it touches on so many issues like bullying, suicide, depression, domestic abuse and loneliness. The story follows the pair through high school, right into University and beyond. It's just a beautiful story about falling in love when it seems like the world is against you.

It totally encapsulated the perfect romance story. It had everything; intimacy, honesty, vulnerability. As well as the performances of the two leading actors being nothing but incredible. Plus, they're both so pretty. It's shocking.

I couldn't recommend this show more, and with us all having far too much time on our hands at the moment, why not spare 6 hours to fall in love with this story like I have? I'm already tempted to rewatch.

It's currently on BBC Player!! Go fall in love with Connell as much as I have!


Thank you for reading,
J. I. Smith x 

Comments

Popular Posts